Read our Blog
Catch up on all the latest news and views…
An original article from the team at Disability Entrepreneur.
Call 0411 875 444
How does the NDIS Help Entrepreneurs with Disabilities?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) aims to provide support and services to people with disabilities in Australia. While the NDIS focuses primarily on meeting the individual needs of participants in terms of their daily living, community participation, and employment goals, it also recognizes and supports entrepreneurs with disabilities in several ways:
- Funding for business-related supports: The NDIS can provide funding for business-related supports and services that assist participants in establishing and maintaining their own businesses. This funding may cover items such as assistive technology, workplace modifications, specialized equipment, and professional services necessary for operating a business. We can help you identify and apply for assistance in processing your NDIS application.
- Capacity building and skill development: The NDIS offers capacity building supports and services to assist participants in developing the skills, knowledge, and confidence required to start and manage their own businesses. This can include business mentoring, training programs, financial management support, and assistance with business planning. DisabilityEntrepreneur.com.au targets this area in particular – part of our mission statement is building your core confidence and competence – we believe that from this foundation everything else organically evolves over time.
- Employment assistance: The NDIS recognizes that entrepreneurship can be a pathway to employment for people with disabilities. In addition to providing support for self-employment, the scheme also offers assistance for participants in securing and maintaining employment, including access to job coaches, vocational training, and supported employment services. Self employment is a great way to feel independent and recognised as an individual.
- Connection with business networks and resources: The NDIS can help entrepreneurs with disabilities connect with business networks, industry associations, and other relevant resources. These connections can provide valuable opportunities for networking, mentorship, and accessing specialized advice and expertise.
- Flexibility and individualized support: The NDIS is designed to provide individualized support to participants, taking into account their unique circumstances and goals. This flexibility enables entrepreneurs with disabilities to tailor their supports and funding to meet their specific business needs, ensuring they have the necessary assistance to overcome barriers and succeed in their entrepreneurial endeavors.
It is important to note that while the NDIS can provide support and funding for entrepreneurs with disabilities, eligibility and the specific supports available may vary depending on individual circumstances and the NDIS guidelines in place at the time. It is advisable to consult with DisabilityEntrepreneur.com.au and the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) for the most up-to-date and accurate information related to entrepreneurship supports under the NDIS.
Suggested Start-Up Businesses for NDIS Participants
Neurodiverse People Working as NDIS Entrepreneurs
Self Employment Boosts Confidence for NDIS Participants